Tuesday, 21 August 2012


      During breakfast this morning I asked the girls if either of them wanted to come along to the hospital for Jacob's EEG.  They asked what was involved.  I explained that there is no blood, it is a painless procedure (well maybe except getting his head scrubbed to put every electrode on.) I then explained what they do to actually perform the test.  I didn't get very far when Breanne interrupted and said, 'I don't want to go.'  I laughed to myself.  She's so like me!  It's clearly out of her comfort zone.  Sheryl thought it sounded interesting, so she wanted to come.  I love having company, and will miss it, once they are gone to school:(  Sheryl was thrilled to push her brother through the hospital.  The entire time the technician was working with Jacob, Sheryl was fascinated. 
     An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test to measure the electrical activity of the brain.  Jacob has had several of these since birth.  Every time they've done the test, the findings have indicated irregular brain activity.  There have been no seizures, but with so much irregular activity, it wouldn't be surprising if he had (or has) seizures. 

       Considering Jacob has had a few new mouth movements (which can be seizures,) and some  unstable moments, Dr Kerr decided it would be good to have another EEG.  Jacob did so well!! Actually, he loved it.  He was smiling and cooing while the technician was marking his head and placing the electrodes on his head.  Once she wrapped his head, he settled into a peaceful sleep.  I think a hat would be a good investment - or at least a roll of gauze:)
Jacob with all 24 electrodes on his head.

Once the electrodes were on and in place, they wrapped his head, to keep them from slipping all over. 
He looked so humorous.  He didn't mind at all! 

GOOEY!!  The red is marker that they marked his head with, so the electrodes would all be equally spaced apart.
After a thorough scrubbing, most of the marker and goop was out of his hair. 

      The procedure took about 45 - 60 minutes.   We were leaving the EEG room, when I thought it would be interesting to see who was working on the paediatrics 6th floor.  It was neat to be able to talk with the nurses, when Jacob was not at a low point.  The nurses love to see the children, other than during their hospital admissions. 

      On the way home, I was filled with thankfulness considering how well Jacob cooperated.  It will take about 1 week to get the results - I'm curious!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment